What is Personal Information?
What Personal Information do we Collect?
We collect and maintain different types of personal information in respect of the individuals with whom we interact.
CHH LLP shall identify the purposes for which personal information is collected either before or at the time the information is collected.
Such information may include but is not limited to:
- contact and identification information, such as your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address;
- financial information such as your various sources of income, your employer, or gross salary etc;
- credit and financial information such as your direct deposit and banking information; and
- business relationship information, including information related to your agreements, preferences, advisors and decision-makers, feed-back and information requested by or provided to you.
As a general rule, CHH LLP collects personal information directly from you. Some examples of sources from which we collect information include; interviews and phone calls with you; letters or e-mail from you; tax return questionnaires. In most circumstances where the personal information that we collect about you is held by a third party, we will obtain your permission before we seek out this information from such sources (such permission may be given directly by you, or implied from your actions).
From time to time, we may utilize the services of third parties in our business and may also receive personal information collected by those third parties in the course of the performance of their services for us or otherwise. Where this is the case, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that such third parties have represented to us that they have the right to disclose your personal information to us.
Where permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements, we may collect information about you without your knowledge or consent.
Why Do We Collect Personal Information?
CHH LLP collects personal information to enable us to provide our professional services to you, and to manage, maintain, and develop our business and operations, including:
- to enable us to complete various tax compliance and other professional services as request by you
- to be able to comply with your requests (for example, if you prefer to be contacted at a business or residential telephone number and advise us of your preference, we will use this information to contact you at that number);
- to protect us against error, fraud, theft and damage to our goods and property;
- to enable us to comply with applicable law or regulatory requirements; and
- any other reasonable purpose to which you consent.
How Do We Use and Disclose Your Personal Information?
We use and disclose your personal information:
- for any additional purposes for which we have obtained your consent to the use or disclosure of your personal information.
We may use or disclose your personal information without your knowledge or consent where we are permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements to do so.
When do we Disclose Your Personal Information?
We share your personal information with our employees, contractors, consultants and other parties who require such information to assist us with managing our relationship with you, including: third parties that provide services to us or on our behalf; third parties that assist CHH LLP in the provision of services to you; and third parties whose services we use to conduct our business.
Further, your personal information may be disclosed:
- as permitted or required by applicable law or regulatory requirements;
- to comply with valid legal processes such as search warrants, subpoenas or court orders;
- as part of CHH LLP's regular reporting activities;
- to protect the rights and property of CHH LLP;
- during emergency situations or where necessary to protect the safety of a person or group of persons;
- where the personal information is publicly available; or
- with your consent.
Your Consent is Important to Us
It is important to us that we collect, use or disclose your personal information where we have your consent to do so. Depending on the sensitivity of the personal information, your consent may be implied, deemed (using an opt-out mechanism) or express. Express consent can be given orally, electronically or in writing. Implied consent is consent that can reasonably be inferred from your action or inaction. For example, when you enter into an agreement with us, we will assume your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for purposes related to the performance of that agreement and for any other purposes identified to you at the relevant time.
As we have described above, we may collect, use or disclose your personal information without your knowledge or consent where we are permitted or required to do so by applicable law or regulatory requirements.
You may change or withdraw your consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual obligations and reasonable notice, by contacting our Privacy Officer using the contact information set out below. All communications with respect to such withdrawal or variation of consent should be in writing and addressed to our Privacy Officer.
How is Your Personal Information Protected?
CHH LLP endeavors to maintain physical, technical and procedural safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information in question. These safeguards are designed to prevent your personal information from loss and unauthorized access, copying, use, modification or disclosure.
Updating Your Personal Information
It is important that the information contained in our records is both accurate and current. If your personal information happens to change during the course of our relationship, please keep us informed of such changes.
In some circumstances we may not agree with your request to change your personal information and will instead append an alternative text to the record in question.
ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can ask to see your personal information. If you want to review, verify or correct your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer. Please note that any such communication must be in writing. Generally, your information is kept at our corporate offices in Calgary, Alberta (see address information below).
When requesting access to your personal information, please note that we may request specific information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access, as well as to search for and provide you with the personal information that we hold about you. We may charge you a fee to access your personal information; however, we will advise you of any fee in advance. If you require assistance in preparing your request, please contact the office of our Privacy Officer.
Your right to access the personal information that we hold about you is not absolute. There are instances where applicable law or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide some or all of the personal information that we hold about you. In addition, the personal information may have been destroyed, erased or made anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices.
In the event that we cannot provide you with access to your personal information, we will endeavor to inform you of the reasons why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
Inquiries or Concerns?
Shannon Creelman, CA
203, 736-1st Ave N.E.
Calgary Alberta T2E 0B8